The West End was developed in the early 1900s and possesses a rich architectural character. This neighborhod was developed from the late 1800s through the mid 1900s, largely as a residential area with some scattered light industries. The architectural character of the area generally breaks down into two groups. Medium scale late-Victorian rowhouses, duplexes and detached houses are typically found in the area bounded by Bay Street, Columbia Avenue, Old Dorwart and Coral Streets. See what's new and what's here.
This contrasts with the remaining areas, in which houses tend to reflect simpler early-twentieth century stylistic influences.
The West End area is bounded to the west by the city line. Architecturally, this is a very arbitrary limit, as the neighborhood essentially continues into Lancaster Township until it meets School Lane Hills.
As late as 1874, when Roe and Colby completed their map of Lancaster, the West End area was largely farmland, with a dense collection of houses along the west side of Old Dorwart Street and some residences scattered along Columbia Avenue and Manor Street. The Lancaster Board of Trade's 1887 map indicates that little changed in the ensuing thirteen years, other than the addition of houses along the two major roads. Streets within the area are largely shown in outline, indicating that they had not yet been extended. First and Second Streets are indicated on the 1899 Atlas, with a considerable number of houses shown along the former, and the Pearl Street Public School located at the corner of First and Pearl Streets. In addition, much of the area from Coral Street east to Old Dorwart Street was built up. Construction continued throughout the early 1900s, with the area largely filled in by mid-century.