The "Ten-Hour" House was built on August 1, 1870 in ten hours.
The South Side is named for its geographic setting, south of the central business district. The South Side, at least since the mid-1800s, was historically a place of factories and the houses of those who worked in those factories. This character remains very much in evidence today, as the South Side retains both an important collection of historic industrial buildings and many modest houses.
The industrial buildings are principally located south of Conestoga Street between South Prince Street and the former Lancaster and Reading Railroad cut from Conestoga Street southward to the city line. Smaller industrial and warehouse-type buildings are sited on the side streets. Residences are found along both the South Prince and South Queen Street corridors and also in dense concentration between them. See what's here and what's new.
The majority of the houses in this zone are red brick rowhouses of generally two-story height with occasional three-story houses scattered throughout. The larger and originally more expensive rowhouses are found on South Prince and South Queen Streets and those on the cross streets and Beaver Street are usually smaller and less elaborate. Some of the circa 1880 to 1895 brick rowhouses on South Prince, Beaver and Hazel Streets have fine cornices and decorative courses in corbelled brick. On the west side of the blocks of South Queen Street are a few buildings of exceptional interest; these include the frame houses at 452-456 and 502-510 South Queen Street which may be a remnant of Bethelstown, an eighteenth-century neighborhood that largely disappeared as development took place in the nineteenth century. The Urban family residences at 442 and 444 South Queen Street are notable.