Congregation Shaarai Shomayim
The Ross area is named for George Ross (1730-1779), one of Lancaster's wealthiest pre-Revolutionary citizens, member of the Continental Congress, and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. His farm, Rossmere, encompassed much of the land in this area of the city.
The Ross area retains a diversity of historic resources, mostly reflecting the stylistic preferences of Lancaster in the late 1800s and early 1900s. See what's here and what's new).
North Queen Street and North Duke Street are the primary north-south corridors and define the western portion of the area. Each has its own distinctive character, with North Duke Street retaining evidence of its historic role as the "Fifth Avenue of Lancaster." New Holland Pike forms the eastern boundary of the area, yet is not as architecturally consistent as the North Queen and North Duke Street corridors. Rather, the character of the eastern portion of the area is defined by two neighborhoods, McGrann Park and Grandview Park and by the large expanse of The Lancaster and St. Mary's Cemeteries. The remaining central portion of the area is generally definable as a distinct neighborhood area.