Brightside Baptist Church (MWS)
The name Prospect Heights was first used in this area for a small subdivision at the southwest corner of Wabank and Fairview Avenues. The rolling topography of this part of the city makes this an appropriate name for the area as a whole.
Prospect Heights was, with the exception of the immediate vicinity of Manor Street, largely undeveloped until after 1900. See what's here and what's new.
Manor Street is shown on Scott's 1824 map of the city, which also indicates the substantial partitioning of land within this area, possibly as small farms. High Street is the only street that was added southwest of Strawberry Street by the time Moody and Bridgens completed their city map in 1850, but it did not extend this far south. The only development within the area other than along Manor Avenue by 1850 were the farms of "J. Peters" and "C. Nauman," and a brick yard.
T. J. Kennedy's 1858 map shows Fairview Avenue, previously known as Love Lane, for the first time. Wabank Road shows up on Bridgens 1864 Atlas, but the farms and the brick yard remain the only substantial development within the area. An extensive grid of streets, to some extent matching the present street system, is indicated in dashed lines on the Board of Trade's 1887 map. Residential development is shown for the first time along the fringes of Cabbage Hill. The 1899 Atlas indicates little additional development had occurred.