Most Read

The later growth of this area moved southward from First Street, west from the Cabbage Hill area and east of West End Avenue. Most of the development of the two or three blocks south of First Street took place after circa 1900 to 1905 and before 1940.

A number of small industries also developed within the early 1900s, the most notable being the Slaymaker Lock Company, at the southeast corner of First Street and West End Avenue. In addition to Slaymaker, the Safe Padlock and Hardware Company was located in a building at 502 Crystal Street.

In addition to Slater's Stogie Factory, the J. B. Milleysack Cigar Factory, located at the rear of 820 Columbia Avenue, is an important individual landmark related to Lancaster's tobacco processing heritage that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The present Historic Blue Star Tavern, originally the Western Market Hotel of the Rieker Star Brewery, is another of the significant single buildings in this area. Built as the tavern for the Rieker Star Brewery, which was located to the south before its demolition in 1941, the interior retains an elaborate bar and pressed metal ceilings. This is Lancaster's most intact tavern surviving from the 1875 to 1900 period, both on the interior and the exterior.

The West End area has a diverse architectural character that deserves community appreciation. The intrusions are minor and do not detract substantially from the major buildings.

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA