Most Read

Visually, the strong unifying and demarcating factors identifying the northern portion of the West End are the very long rows of light-colored brick houses with mansard roofs, dormer windows and front porches that stretch along the south side of West King Street and Columbia Avenue from Pearl Street two blocks toward the east. There are occasional two-story, three-bay facade brick houses with gable roofs, most of which probably date from the 1880s.

The south side of Columbia Avenue from Pearl Street to West End Avenue is somewhat more diverse in character, but it continues this general scale and sense of lively roof lines. The side streets and First Street are generally characterized by two-story brick rowhouses with mansard roofs and variable front porches; most of these rowhouses date circa 1895 through 1915. The rowhouses with stone facades commencing at 834 Columbia Avenue are unusual. Another unusual row of houses is on the east side of Pearl Street, between Columbia Avenue and First Street. It features a combination of red and gold brick with terra cotta panels.

The growth of this area seems to have been determined by a number of factors representing a balance between residential and industrial components. The internal industries of this area that influenced its growth were the Rei ker Star Brewery at the corner of West King and Old Dorwart Streets (now Crystal Park) and the John Slater & Company Stogie Factory along Columbia Avenue. External factors of growth included the westward growth of Lancaster City along Columbia and Marietta Avenues. Later, industries along West End Avenue also influenced the development of this area.

West End Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA