Most Read

The dominant type of historic industrial building in the Stadium District is the tobacco warehouse. Tobacco warehousing and cigar production were among Lancaster's leading industries in the late-nineteenth through the mid-twentieth centuries. According to the "Tobacco Buildings in Lancaster City" (1990) Lancaster had 131 buildings related to the tobacco industry in the period from 1880 to 1940. Lancaster City was second only to New York City as the largest seedleaf market in the country by 1883. In 1916 alone, 25 million pounds of tobacco were produced in Lancaster County. County wide investment was over $1.5 million and about 1,000 persons were employed in the industry.

With the enormous increase in the domestic leaf production and cigar consumption after 1860, the industry began to utilize larger and more specialized buildings. Large warehouses specifically for packing and storing leaf tobacco were constructed. According to Tobacco Buildings: "The tobacco warehouses of Lancaster City were described in 1883 as 'immense structures, from two to four stories high and from fifty to two hundred feet long, with a capacity of storing from two hundred to five thousand cases of tobacco each.'" A number of the tobacco warehouses in the Northwest Industrial Corridor are listed individually, or as part of small districts, on the National Register of Historic Places.

In addition to the area's tobacco warehouses, there are a number of industrial buildings and residences along the North Prince Street corridor. Notable among these is the Gunzenhauser Bakery, 801 North Prince Street.

The Conestoga Traction Company Trolley Barn was the last substantial landmark to Lancaster County's once prominent and extensive trolley system. On 1 April 1887, the land on which the trolley barn sat was purchased by the Lancaster City Street Railway Company. The structure initially housed horse-drawn trolleys. The system, which extended to many points in the county and throughout the city, had a major influence on the growth of the city in the late 1800s. By providing relatively inexpensive public transportation, workers were no longer required to live within walking distance of their workplaces. Suburban development resulted and was further spurred by the widespread acceptance of the automobile in the early 1900s.

The manufacturing plant and offices of Armstrong World Industries has visually dominated the northwest end of this area. Constructed in several stages, the Armstrong complex represented the city's largest industrial facility. Armstrong World Industries was founded in Pittsburgh in 1860 as Armstrong Cork. The company's production of linoleum began in 1907 in Lancaster. The company moved its corporate headquarters here in 1929.

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA