Most Read

Harrisburg Pike is shown on Scott's 1824 map, with land to its southwest indicated as "Hamiltons Estate" and land to the north divided into several large tracts. The railroad line is indicated on the 1850 Moody and Bridgens map as the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad. A single main track enters the city from the northwest and loops down to Chestnut Street and exits the city on the northeast. A "Central Rail Road Depot" is shown north of Harrisburg Pike, approximately where Charlotte Street intersects today, and Prince Street ended just north of James Street. Several buildings are shown in the blocks bounded by Harrisburg Pike, Mulberry and James Streets. Numerous buildings are shown along Harrisburg Pike on the 1864 Atlas, yet are not indicated as industrial sites.

According to Tobacco Buildings in Lancaster City, "... in 1847, Charles Augustus Bitner (later a leaf tobacco dealer) was active with his brother in establishing a successful fast-freight line between Lancaster and Philadelphia. In 1879 Bitner opened an office and freight-house on the Reading Railroad line. Among his various properties were several tobacco warehouse buildings on both sides of Harrisburg Avenue at North Mulberry Street."

The Reading and Columbia Railroad extended a line into the area by 1874, entering the city near the existing line and then proceeding southeast to Prince Street. A number of spur lines radiated from its terminus, extending to a depot, a coal yard and other sites. Bitner's Tobacco Warehouse is shown along the north side of Harrisburg Pike, as are two additional large buildings on the south side. The railroad also split to the south, running along Water Street and out of the south side of the city. By 1887, the Board of Trade's map shows the addition of numerous tobacco warehouses and industries in this area, mostly along the rail lines except for a row of them on the west side of North Charlotte Street. Additional industries, including the Henry Martin Brick Machine Manufacturing Company, the Peerless Emery Wheel Company and the Pennsylvania Traction Company were added by 1899, with much of the remaining areas infilled with dwellings.

Stadium District Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA