Most Read

A series of lots and houses are shown on Scott's 1824 map extending from present day Conestoga Street south almost to the city line. Most of these are also shown on Moody and Bridgens 1850 map and constitute much of the development then present. One industry is shown in the area at the time, a "Furnace and Forge" just west of Prince Street opposite present day Furnace Street. The railroad line was not yet established and Bethel's Run, a small creek, is shown near what would become its path.

Kennedy's 1858 map indicates some additional growth and the extension of Water Street south to the city line. Houses are shown along Prince Street and rather densely concentrated along Beaver Street on the 1864 Atlas. The Lancaster and Reading Railroad line was extended through the South Side by 1874 and several additional houses and some industries are indicated on Roe and Colby's map of that year. By 1887, the Board of Trade's map shows that a number of industries had developed along the rail line, including the massive Conestoga Steam Mills, three tanneries, a gas works and a dye works. School "No. 3" is shown along Mill Street, south of Hazel Street, presumably to serve the extensive residential development that had infilled Prince, Beaver and Queen Streets to house the workers of the factories. With minor exceptions, the area bounded by the railroad, Seymour and South Prince Streets were densely developed by 1899. The Charles Miller Soap Works, on Seymour Street, represented a substantial addition to South Side.

The area of South Queen and Beaver Streets in the vicinity of the present Hazel Street was originally laid out as Bethelstown by Samuel Bethel II in the 1760s. The Bethels were a rich Quaker family whose land holdings stretched from the present South Queen Street to Manor Street on the west. Possibly the rowhouses in the 400 and 500 blocks may be a remnant of Bethelstown. The degree of development of this Bethel tract before circa 1830 is uncertain, although Theodore Diller recollected a number of one-story frame houses in this area in the very early 1800s. Deeds for the west side of South Queen Street southward from Andrew Street mention many one-story log and frame houses as late as the third quarter of the 1800s.

South Side Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA