Most Read

"Mussertown," as it is indicated on T. J. Kennedy's map of 1859, grew noticeably in the 1850s. North, Low and High Streets were extended to the northeast across the Lancaster and Strasburg Road (Rockland Street) and South (Dauphin) Street was added. A dense pattern of lots was created throughout the area, with houses scattered. Additional houses are shown infilling these blocks by the time of the 1864 Atlas.

Roe and Colby's 1874 map shows industrial development within the area, largely in the form of Knapp's Brewery at the southeast corner of Lime and Locust Streets. South Duke Street was extended further south and a series of house lots are indicated on either side of Woodward (Dauphin) Street. Much of the area northwest of Dauphin Street was densely developed by 1887. The Board of Trade's map of that year also shows two additional breweries and the Eastern Market House. Development in Mussertown continued to spread in a southeasterly direction, with greater infill in previously developed areas, and reached Dauphin Street by 1899.

About 70% of the dwellings in this area are brick, two story and three bay facade houses dating from the period from circa 1870 through 1890. Along Church Street and Howard Avenue are a small but important scattering of one-story stone, log, frame and half timber buildings dating from between circa 1760 and 1820. The only tangible reminder of the Musser Family that once owned this area is the Henry Musser House at South Ann and Chesapeake Streets in the adjacent Stevens area.

Mussertown Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA