Most Read

By the time of the 1875 Atlas, however, additional industrial facilities are shown in the blocks surrounding the railroad line, including the boiler works, machine shop and foundry for the Lancaster Manufacturing Co. Works, the Allendale Cotton Mills and the H. F. Frankes Brewery. Industrial growth continued within the railroad corridor by 1887, with the addition of the Conestoga Cork Works and the Phoenix Cork Works, as well as several warehouses. Residential blocks were largely filled in as far east as North Plum Street. By 1899, the only substantial open space remaining within the Musser Park neighborhood was the lawn of the Grubb Mansion, which covered nearly a city block and later became Musser Park.

Musser Park possesses an interesting cross-section of middle-class housing of rather diverse quality and detailing, most dating circa 1870 through 1930. The area is characterized by numerous brick rowhouses, two stories in height, with gable roofs and two or three bay facade elevations. At least 75% of the structures in this zone are such rowhouses. About half of the rowhouses have front porches. Visually, the most diverse parts of this zone are the blocks of North Lime and North Duke Streets, the fine tobacco warehouses on Tobacco Avenue and the roughly triangular residential area between North Lime and North Shippen Streets, where East Walnut Street and the New Holland Pike converge.

For descriptive purposes, Musser Park has been divided into several sub-areas: the Lancaster Historic District, the North Duke Street Corridor, the Northeast Industrial Corridor and the North Lime/East Walnut Streets area.

Musser Park Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA