Most Read

The East Side is the product of several factors of growth. The development of industries, including the substantial concentration of tobacco warehouses on Tobacco Avenue, combined with strong commercial-industrial development along the New Holland Pike after about 1900 increased demand for housing in the area. In addition, the general westward residential movement of this part of the city in the first half of this century played a role in the East Side's growth. Possibly, the development of McGrann Park about 1907-1908 may have led to more intense residential development in this area, as well.

On East Chestnut Street, moving eastward and northeast from North Plum Street, it appears that most residential development took place after circa 1899. Indeed, the blocks immediately south of the "campus" of McCaskey High School were developed generally after the school was dedicated in 1938.

The East Side area is characterized by numerous brick row houses, two stories in height, with gable roofs and two or three bay facade elevations. At least 75% of the structures in this area are such rowhouses. Of these, about half have front porches that appear to be early original features.

For descriptive purposes, the East Side has been divided into five sub-areas: the East King Street Corridor, the Northeast Industrial Corridor, the McCaskey High School Campus, the Chestnut Street Tract and the Orange/Chestnut Streets Neighborhood. The East King Street Corridor, between the Central Business District and North Marshall Street, is characterized by residences, both modest and grand, small scale retail shops and occasional other mixed uses. Among the notable buildings along this section of the street is the Appel House at 419 East King Street, which was constructed in 1895-1897 and is a particularly good example of the Chateauesque style in Lancaster. Immediately adjacent to the Appel House is the King Theatre, built circa 1949 and blending aspects of the Art Deco and Art Moderne styles. The facade and marquee of the theatre have recently been restored in an adaptive reuse project that converted the auditorium into apartments.

East Side Part IV

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA