Most Read

Scott's 1824 map shows present day Plum Street as the general extent of residential subdivision within Lancaster, although several lots and houses are shown along King Street somewhat further east. A few scattered farms are also indicated along New Holland Pike. The Lancaster County Prison, completed in 1851, is shown on the Moody and Bridgens 1850 map, as are the paired reservoirs that were located in present day Reservoir Park. Otherwise, development was limited to a scattering of buildings in the blocks generally bounded by Plum, King, Ann and Orange Streets.

The Lancaster Locomotive Works, later the Penn Iron Works, was developed in 1853 and is shown for the first time on Kennedy's 1858 city map. Walnut and Chestnut Streets were extended east from Plum Street, with Ann, Marshall, Franklin and Buchanan (Reservoir) Streets extended north of King Street. An extensive residential subdivision to the east of the locomotive works is shown as "Plan of Chestnut Street Tract Owned by Landis and Brenneman." The 1864 Atlas indicates that none of the lots were built on by that time and little additional development had occurred in the East side. A number of new industries were developed in the area by 1874. The Chestnut Street Tract reappears on Roe and Colby's map of that year, with several houses scattered throughout.

St. Anthony's Catholic Church also appears for the first time on the 1874 map. Additional residential infill and new industries are shown on the Board of Trade's map of 1887. This trend continued and, by 1899, most of the area south of Fulton Street was densely built, with a heavy scattering of residences below Lemon Street.

East Side Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA