Most Read

The character of College Park is diverse, due in part to the juxtaposition of industrial, educational, religious, health care and residential uses. The diversity of early twentieth century architectural styles, which include many revivals of earlier periods, adds to the rich architectural pattern of the area.

College Park visually divides into several sub-areas: Franklin and Marshall College/Buchanan Park, the Buchanan Avenue sub-area, St. Joseph's Hospital, the Marietta Avenue corridor, the Hamilton Watch sub-area, the Columbia Avenue corridor, School Lane Hills and the College View neighborhood.

The oldest buildings at Franklin and Marshall College, Old Main, Goethean and Diagnothian Halls, are early examples of the Gothic styles that became popular for college designs due to the popularity of Russell Sturgis' Farnham Hall (1867) at Yale. All three are constructed of Lancaster brick and sandstone. Old Main, the first one to be built, was designed by the Baltimore firm of Dixon Balbirnie and Dixon. The builder was Patrick Smith. Goethean, the first such society named for Goethe in the U.S., and Diagnothian Hall housed the two student literary societies and were distinguished from most similar groups in having their own buildings. Originally connected with the Theological Seminary in York and Mercersburg, they moved to Franklin and Marshall with the Seminary. Probably also designed by Dixon, Balbirnie and Dixon, the builder may have been John H. Evans who worked on the Seminary. Although Diagnothian and Goethean lost their crenelations at unknown dates, these buildings remain little changed on the exterior. They are listed on the National Register.

College Park Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA