Most read

Although about three quarters of this zone represents a product of the residential development typical of several parts of Lancaster City in the second half of the 1800s, the north side of West King Street possesses at least three buildings definitely predating 1798. In this same block, about half of the buildings predate 1850. The residential growth of the remainder of the area appears to have been promoted by the following factors: 1) the general westward movement of the City; 2) the industries that developed on the west side of town, including Hamilton Watch, small tobacco warehouses, the Star Brewery and the now-lost Remleysville area; 3) the construction of the West End Market circa 1883, at the southeast corner of West Orange and Pine Streets; and 4) in the 1890s, the further residential development of the extreme western blocks of the area were promoted by routes of the city's trolley lines.

It should be noted that the general circa 1870 to 1900 residential construction in the southern portion of Chestnut Hill, below West Walnut Street, appears to have been rather piecemeal, with many owners and developers involved with relatively small parcels of land. This is a marked contrast to the sweeping block-long projects of Jacob Griel located but one or two blocks to the north.

Although the general pattern of development of this area may be regarded as part of the late Victorian period residential expansion of the city, the intense development of the areas north of West Walnut Street occurred somewhat later. Most of the brick rowhouses on West Walnut Street from Charlotte Street westward to Pine Street were built about 1875 through 1885. From that intersection westward to College Avenue, most construction took place between the late 1890s and circa 1906. Even in 1880, there were but a handful of houses on West James Street from Charlotte Street westward to College Avenue. Considerable construction took place about 1886 to 1892, with minor residential construction extending into the 1920s. Most of the houses on Lancaster Avenue northward from West Walnut Street, and some houses on West Lemon Street westward from North Charlotte Street were built for resale and/or rental purposes by Jacob Griel in the 1880s. In the first quarter of this century, the then relatively new houses on College Avenue were a fashionable residential area, locally called "College Heights."

Chestnut Hill Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA