Most Read

Central Market (MWS)

Lancaster was incorporated as a city on 20 March 1818. At the time it was one of three cities in the state. Between 1854 and 1931, the present Heritage Center served as Lancaster's City Hall; since that time, city government has been centered in the former Post Office of 1891-1892 at 120 North Duke Street. In Pennsylvania, only Philadelphia and York share with Lancaster the distinction of having been county seat, state capital and national capital at different times.

Central Market (MWS)

Many businesses in Lancaster's Central Business District played roles in the community's economy. The marketing of farm products is a testimony to the economic and commercial relationship of the city to its rich surrounding farmland. For about 250 years, markets have been held near Penn Square. Central Market (1889) illustrates the continuing interaction of town and country.

The town's first newspapers were printed on the first block of West King Street. Today, Lancaster Newspapers, Inc. is headquartered in this same block. The Lancaster Press building, at the northeast corner of North Prince and West Lemon Streets, formerly housed a descendant of the old New Era Printing Company, which once functioned in the 1890-1891 building at 39-41 North Queen Street.

The earliest bank in Lancaster County - a branch of the Bank of Pennsylvania - was opened in 1803, one block from Penn Square. Today, the largest concentration of banks in Lancaster County is found in Lancaster's Central Business District.

Central Business District Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA