Most Read

Today, the area is largely built up except for three large open spaces: the schoolyard and playing fields of the School District of Lancaster, an undeveloped hillside that rises behind the school property, and land on the property of Stevens Trade School.

Ray's Temple at the intersection of South Ann Street and East End Avenue. (MWS)

The growth and development of Stevens has been the apparent product of two primary factors. The blocks on the south side of East King Street from Plum Street to Marshall, with a few exceptions of earlier structures, are part of the general residential expansion of the city in the second half of the 1800s. There were only occasional buildings before 1850. The other main factor in the development of East King Street beyond South Marshall Street, and the remaining areas to the south, was a commercial one, as several Lancaster real estate companies promoted it throughout the first three decades of this century. Advertisements for houses in these areas emphasized their proximity to industries and center city, with the then remarkable factor of a view into open country to the east. Extensive residential development continued within the area in the 1950s and 1960s.

Visually, the area breaks down into several smaller sections. The Plum/Pershing sub-area is generally Rockland, Plum and Green Streets and was one of the earliest portions of Stevens to develop. The area consists primarily of brick two-story rowhouses and duplexes. The houses in this section are relatively plain, compared to their more elaborate counterparts along South Ann Street. The angled streets and topography give the neighborhood a distinctive character.

The South Ann Street Neighborhood is a linear corridor that flanks the principal north to south thoroughfare through Stevens. Its character is largely defined by long sets of rowhouses that are set back from the street to allow for small front yards. These rowhouses, constructed in the first third of the 1900s exhibit the rich and eclectic style of the period in which many different architectural elements are used to create visual interest in an otherwise repetitive row.

The Green/Marshall Streets is bounded to the west by the South Ann Street Neighborhood, to the north by the King Street corridor, to the east by Stevens Trade and to the south by Juniata Street. The area is somewhat eclectic in character, with elaborate early-twentieth century rowhouses and duplexes immediately south of King Street and smaller, more simply detailed rows and duplexes to the south that were constructed between 1930 and the 1950s.

Stevens Part IV

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA