Most Read

The Overdeer

Joshua Scott's 1824 map of the city shows lines indicating large tracts or farms in this area. Rockland Street is shown as the only street extending through the area, running from King Street to the city line. Other than a dense infill of buildings along King Street, the area remained undeveloped by the time of Moody and Bridgens 1850 map. Ann Street was extended south of King Street to present day Rockland Street by 1858, as were Marshall and Franklin Streets. Vine Street (now East End Avenue) was also laid out by this time. However, no houses are shown other than those on properties facing onto King Street. The block bounded by Vine, Ann, Mifflin and Plum Streets is shown as "J. N. Millers Vegetable and Fruit Garden."

The area remained undeveloped in 1864 as indicated by the Atlas of that year. The "Children's Home" is shown on the east side of Ann Street on Roe and Colby's 1874 map and represents the only additional development to occur by that time.

Children's Home was built buildt on the corner of East End and South Ann Streets in the 1860's. This picture, showing students on the front steps, was taken around 1910. The Garden Court Apartments were built on this location after the demolition of the school in the 1950's.

The full pattern of streets in the area is indicated as being planned on the 1887 Board of Trade map, although no new buildings are shown. The first extensive development in the Stevens area occurred over the next twelve years. The 1899 Atlas shows densely placed houses west of South Ann Street, and north of Dauphin Street, including a series of duplexes along the west side of South Ann Street. Additional houses are shown along South Marshall Street on both sides of the block south of King Street. The remainder of the area was largely undeveloped until the early 1900s.

Stevens Part III

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA