Follow Us!

Most read

Musser Park

Northeast Quadrant

Musser Park (MWS)

The Musser Park area is named for Musser Park, its primary focal point and major public open space.

Musser Park, located at the southwest corner of East Chestnut and North Lime Streets, forms the focal point of the Musser Park area. The area is separated from the East End by Plum Street, a very subtle boundary. See what's here and what's new.

Much of the Musser Park area was densely developed prior to 1874 and much of the East End developed afterward. There is a noticeable, but equally subtle transition between the architectural character of the two areas. Generally, houses toward the center of town tend to be somewhat larger and more architecturally refined. East King Street, East Orange and East Chestnut Streets are the principal east-west thoroughfares through the area. North Duke, North Lime and North Shippen are the major north-south streets.

(MWS)

The southwestern portion of the Musser Park area was part of the original Hamilton town site and lots were laid out along East King, East Orange and East Chestnut Street, between North Duke and North Ann Streets, by 1790. By the time of Joshua Scott's 1824 map, houses had been developed extensively along East King Street and were scattered within the blocks northeast of the center of town.

The Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad traversed the northern block of the area by the time of Moody and Bridgen's 1850 map. Industries are shown along the railroad, with considerable additional residential development and the addition of several churches in the blocks to the south. Eight years later, when T. J. Kennedy published his map, the blocks west of North Shippen Street were densely developed and residential development was filling in the blocks to the east as far as North Plum Street. The Bridgens and Allen 1864 Atlas shows little additional infill.

Musser Park Part II

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA