The Conestoga River meanders through the lower portion of the southeast quadrant of the city. The name Conestoga Heights reflects the relationship of the area to this important waterway.
Conestoga Heights is sparsely developed with buildings due in large part to its substantial coverage by cemeteries. South Duke Street is its principal north to south street, running southeast from Church Street, and Chesapeake Street is its major east to west thoroughfare. There are modern commercial buildings along South Duke Street and a small residential area to its west. Otherwise, the entire area is covered by cemeteries, the Lancaster County Central Park, or vacant land. See What's Here and What's New!
Several streets, buildings and lots are shown at the southeastern portion of Conestoga Heights on Joshua Scott's 1824 map. This development is shown on the 1850 city map, as is Woodward Hill Cemetery. A small burial ground, called "Musser's Burial Ground," is shown near the present intersection of South Duke and Schuykill Streets. Also, a mill is indicated on the north side of the Conestoga approximately where the entrance to Central Park is today. This mill is referred to as "Stone Mill" on Kennedy's 1858 map. The map also shows Ann, Marshall and Franklin Streets having been extended to present day Rockland Street, although only Ann Street is shown as such by the 1864 Atlas. Musser's graveyard is still indicated on that map and the mill is referred to as "Steam Saw Mill." A farm complex owned by George G. Sprecher is shown for the first time on the site of present-day Central Park. In addition, Zion Cemetery is shown adjacent to Woodward Hill Cemetery.