Follow Us!

Most Read

College Park

Northwest Quadrant

Franklin and Marshall's Old Main (MWS)

College Park is named for its two most prominent landmarks, Franklin and Marshall College and Buchanan Park.

College Park contains an eclectic pattern of building types and styles, ranging from large scale industrial complexes (Hamilton Watch) to single family residences. The focal points of the neighborhood are Franklin and Marshall College and Buchanan Park. See What's Here and What's New!

The College Park area was largely undeveloped prior to the turn of this century. Franklin and Marshall College is the only development shown on Bridgen's 1864 Atlas and Roe and Colby's 1874 city map. St. Joseph's Catholic Hospital (now Lancaster Regional Medical Center) and the Keystone Watch Company (later Hamilton Watch) appear for the first time on the Board of Trade's 1887 map, as does a planned street grid, as indicated by dashed lines. The 1899 Atlas shows a number of residences in the block bounded by West End, College, Columbia and Marietta Avenues, as well as Bethany Presbyterian Chapel . The city reservoir is also indicated within present day Buchanan Park, although the street grid remained largely undeveloped. The remainder of the area developed rapidly after 1900 and was substantially built up by the mid-1950s.

The growth of this area of the city, which largely occurred after 1900, is the product of several factors: 1) the continued westward expansion of the city; 2) residential development spurred by Hamilton Watch, Franklin and Marshall College and St. Joseph Hospital; 3) the growth of Marietta Avenue westward to the Little Conestoga Creek as the community's "status" neighborhood after c. 1890; and 4) the influence of new trolley lines in the period from circa 1895 through 1910 and the automobile afterwards.

College Park Part II/ View as Single Page

Lancaster City Living – Lancaster PA